The restaurant industry is constantly evolving, and so are the technology solutions that can help restaurants succeed. One of the most important technology investments that a restaurant can make is in a point of sale (POS) system. A good POS system can help restaurants streamline operations, improve customer service and boost profits.
There are a number of different POS systems on the market, so it can be tough to know how to choose the best one. With profits on the line, it’s important to not only stay up-to-date with the latest technology advancements, but also understand the specific capabilities necessary for driving growth and delivering success at scale.
What is a modern POS system?
When evaluating POS systems for restaurants, it’s critical to make the decision with the future of dining in mind. A modern POS system should provide restaurants with the capability for:
- Mobile ordering
- Mobile payment
- Technology and data integration
- Workforce management
- Inventory management
- Performance reporting and data analysis
Notably, by implementing a modern POS with mobility functionality, restaurants can increase the average check size by 10%-15% and enable faster table turnovers, according to according to research from Starfleet.
What are the benefits of using a modern POS system?
There are many benefits to using a cloud-based POS system in a restaurant. Here are just a few:
- Increased efficiency: A modern POS system can help restaurants improve their efficiency by freeing up staff time on traditionally manual tasks. This allows staff to provide better customer service.
- Improved accuracy: Additionally, it can help restaurants reduce the risks of human error. This is especially important for tasks such as entering orders and processing payments.
- Better customer service: A POS system can help restaurants improve their customer service by providing a more efficient and accurate checkout process. This can lead to shorter wait times and happier customers.
- Increased sales: It can provide better insights into a restaurant’s sales data and help operators decrease costs and increase sales.With this information operators can make better pricing decisions, optimize inventory levels and identify areas where sales can be improved
What factors should be considered when evaluating POS systems?
There are several factors restaurant brands should consider when evaluating POS systems. Here are some of the most important factors:
- Advanced features: The restaurant POS system should have the features needed to run the restaurant efficiently and should automate routine tasks. Some features to consider include: sales tracking; inventory management; customer loyalty programs; reporting; check-splitting; or offering preset tip percentage options.
- Ease of use: It should be easy to use for both staff and customers. A complex POS system can be frustrating for staff and can lead to errors.
- Price and integrations: POS systems can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Choose a POS that integrates with other systems easily and has an open API for any platforms that may be added in the future.
- Support: The POS system provider should have good customer support. Questions or problems with the system need to be resolved quickly at any time of the day.
Best POS systems for restaurants
PAR sponsored Starfleet Research’s 2023 Smart Decision Guide to Restaurant Management and POS Systems. The Smart Decision Guide helps operators pick the best restaurant POS system for their needs and includes insights such as what to look for when evaluating POS Systems; how to review the pros and cons of several vendors; and must-ask questions to consider during the selection process.
This post is sponsored by PAR