The animal welfare policy at RBI focuses on poultry, laying hens, beef cattle, dairy cows and pigs. / Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Restaurant Brands International (RBI) has committed to using 100% cage-free eggs in 92% of its global markets by 2025 and in the remaining 8% by 2030, and is now the largest restaurant group to publicly report on its progress in transitioning to cage-free eggs, according to a statement put out by animal welfare group Open Wing Alliance.
The animal welfare policy at RBI, the parent company of Burger King, Tim Hortons and Popeyes, focuses on poultry, laying hens, beef cattle, dairy cows and pigs, according to the company’s website.
“As a major global purchaser of animal proteins and animal products, we have an opportunity to leverage our influence to promote strong practices of care for those animals,” RBI says. “To achieve this, we are partnering with suppliers and producers across our supply chain to drive toward continuous improvement of animal welfare outcomes throughout their lives.”
Currently, whole eggs used at Burger King in Australia, New Zealand and the UK are already produced by hens in a cage-free system.
The company notes that the most significant change to its cage-free egg goals is with Tim Hortons Canada, which represents approximately 47% of RBI’s egg requirements across the globe. RBI says it now expects to achieve 100% compliance there by the end of 2030 due to short-term limited availability of cage-free eggs.
“We remain committed to working hand-in-hand with our suppliers and farmers to expand this supply, and introducing it into restaurants in a way that is affordable for guests,” RBI says, noting it will continue to report its progress on its website and through its Restaurant Brands for Good report.
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.